Tuesday, May 8

one hour or so


through  my window i have watched rain fall, the rain has the way of making everything more lush like a oil painting that is still wet. i have been so reflective, cautious even with thought as if to much could create in unbalance a need for something i can not obtain just yet. in the morning i come down my stairs leaving behind two dogs that lay quietly in my bed as i turn around to close the door, i look at the bed with the two giant beast in it and i wonder where exactly did i sleep.  i walk pass cats as they chase each other and make my way to the kettle, i fill it and wait till i can hear the steam come out leaving it there a little longer than necessary. i take my cup drop a spoon of turmeric, cut, squeeze a half a lemon, grate some ginger and drop some honey as i stir it i am lost in it's vibrant yellow color. as i sit at the kitchen table facing the mountains. a bird i want to say it is the same one as all the other mornings. he sings but the odd thing about it is he sings towards the window and not out to the hills staring right at me and he does it all morning long, although today he has cut his act short for the wind and the rain our pounding hard and i can feel drafts all over the house.

there is something new now, i have learned to give myself an hour or so before animal care and chores begin.  i no longer jump out of bed straight into my muck boots tying up dogs and opening for chickens and ducks and throwing hay for horses, i no longer start my day worrying about them till night fall when i tuck them in. i simply take time for  myself and you know what everything is okay and taking time for myself does not take it away from them or my love for them and that my dear readers is really big step in my life.

16 comments:

Sanda Vuckovic Pagaimo said...

I do agree,I also take some time for myself..even it is 5 minutes in the afternoon when I finish all the work and before I get kids from school..but these 5 minutes are just mine and that feels soo good

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

5 minutes just for me...my favorite time of the day.

Lovely photographs! I absolutely am n awe of your beautiful photos and have been for the years!

have a great day1, elizabeth

Rebecca said...

wonderful post. i've been learning to do just as you describe this spring. this morning, with the rain pouring down, i didn't rush out to the goats. i knew they'd be snoozing in their barn and didn't need me for anything, not right away. good for you for giving yourself that important time!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

So important... I will try to remember that and see if I can do that as well. How I love that first photo!

erin said...

yes. wrote a short piece (unshared) about a similar thing just last night. all of my quiet hours seem filled with other people now; people's pictures, people's words. i just need some time to be with me.

Natalie said...

Hello Nadia! I am so pleased to see your lovely photographs of the forget-me-nots, and to read of your quiet time. It has been a banner year for forget-me-nots in our gardens, as well. Yesterday I tucked a sprig in my hair as I walked about the gardens! Be well, Natalie at Tasha Tudor and Family, Inc.

Juliana said...

So happy for you and your hour for yourself. It's so very important. Your pictures are beautiful, as always, and I especially like the first!

KT Mac said...

You always seem to discover what I need to know just before I realize it. An hour to yourself...what a gift!

Anonymous said...

I would take all time in the world if necessary watching the bird sing to me. What a special treat...
I hope you enjoy every quiet minute of that hour...it's a beautiful way to start a new day.

I often think about all the words you've written and the pictures you've shown of the hill and I can only imagine how a rainy day there must be one straight from a dream.

Enjoy today ~ Sarah

Sylvia said...

You are wonderful, Nadia! The more of your own light you allow to shine, the more others shine too...Your amazing images are like paintings.

Sweet Life Farm said...

Lovely, Nadia, so peaceful and tender. I so needed to see your wondrous photos (these may be my favorites…) and be quieted by your virtuous words this evening. Blessings, S

cloudgathererholdmedown said...

this is like an ode to taking the time/making the space to breathe in and out at your own pace and notice in detail the details, the small moments of beauty that stud our days.

and your little singing bird, oh my..

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful picture! Thank you ... I found some information online about life in Cavendish) is very touching to know that the residents of the city carefully preserves the history of the Russian writer.

Debie Grace said...

The flowers are so pretty and calming :)

Unknown said...

que bellas fotos

Stephanie said...

I've been meaning to tell you this is a lovely idea Nadia. Taking an hour for yourself before caring for others all day long. I really should try to get to bed earlier (here I am at 12:45 a.m. writing this!) and wake up early to do just that before the children arise. A lovely thought...thank you for sharing!

xo