Saturday, June 2

a walk in tall grasses underneath a warm sky


perhaps it was the fact that the night before i drove into the city, for an hour or so of neon lights, rushing cars, garments on hangers, and a prepared mocha, ah the city. perhaps it was the unexpected storm, wind blown branches and torrential rains but when i woke and went outside, i felt more alive, quickly recognizing that somehow i had been dormant. the morning was cold, much different than what it had been the day before, the sky was a mix of grey and soft peaches. i knew i would walk, as i let the horses out into their grazing pasture i followed. i walked through lush blades of field grass and wildflowers made heavy with rain. i walked as my pants took up  water and within minutes my steps became heavy. the apple trees formed dry canopies were deer had visibly laid underneath for shelter.  i walked, observed, breathed and photographed.  happy was i to have found my way out through the fields underneath a warm stormy sky, by the time i reached home i was soaked all the way to my shoulders and my boots stuck to my legs like suction cups to glass. the fire i  had started to cut the chill in the air earlier was there to greet me, how happy this made me.  as i hung my wet clothes and washed my face with honey i thought about how even when you do not think it is possible you can take something for granted and as this thought came into mind i made a promise to myself to once and a while go where there is paved roads and streets lights only to return in full appreciation of my surroundings and to always walk out into fields of tall grass.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nadia,
This is beautiful...everytime you write, I can picture exactly what it is like to be where you are, surrounded by so much beauty.
I leave the city as much as possible and escape to farthest countryside I can find, just to dream of where I want to be.
Enjoy your fields and beautiful skies!
Sarah xo

Ronnie said...

Like Sarah said, this is utterly beautiful. I've been reading through a lot of your old posts and this is perhaps the first time I've commented. I just love the magic which you capture through your photos and writing. I feel like you whisk me away to a completely different world. Thank you for this beautiful space that you have created here on your blog.
Ronnie xo

Patti said...

I felt as though I too was on your beautiful, wet walk. Thank you!

Lana said...

Your posts and photographs soothe the soul.. I enjoy it so much!

Lucia said...

These photos make me want to read a Jane Austen book while listening to the rain. Love them.

Patricia Villamil said...

How I breathed the same air with your words. Stunning photographs, and even more beautiful, your words...

Iren said...

very temping to go out in the rain right now and connect with nature...
The first two pictures are my very favorite! Congratulations!
Iren

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

so green... the city is good, but this is breathtaking.

Anile | Girlfriday said...

How utterly lush and gorgeous. Lovely images and thoughts. I have experienced a similar feeling - leaving the city lights behind for a green, peaceful quiet. Being able to experience both is the perfect balance and I am so grateful for it.

Sweet Life Farm said...

I can feel the moodiness of the stormy sky, my pant legs heavy and clinging to my skin, the warmth and light of your fire. Such a gift you have to see, sense and share…

Rebecca said...

The colours in these photos are amazing! The soft orange sky next to that green, green grass - Beautiful.

kimberly said...

I absolutely love the color in that first shot- it speaks of summer air and lush pastures.
xx

David @ Frenchie and the Yankee said...

Very soulful post. It releases calm energies within me! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

oh, what a horse! .. :)
and that this mist (vapor) in the third photo? Thank you.

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

Nadia, these dark tones are so beautiful. I absolutely love the way you use words.

Juliana said...

Beautiful first photo. It took my breath away. Lovely words.

Unknown said...

Nice atmoshere!

Unknown said...

these are dreamyyyyy, can I come visit!!